January 11, 2009

Tokyo Monogatari

English Title: Tokyio Story
Yasujiro Ozu, Japan, 1953, imdb
Review: 4.0 Uchuvas
Comment: Hrishi (an Indian friend, or shall I say a beloved American?! ;-)) lent this film to me after writing a great comment that I posted last month. After reading his comment it was impossible not to be in love with the film even before watching it. To be honest, when I finished seeing it I wasn't very sure that I liked it a lot.  After a while and after re-picturing the film in my head I realized why the film was good.  I learned to appreciate the softness of a film. I learned what delicateness really means in films. I started to appreciate more the the absence of color. I love, about the story, how the characters were introduced; You only realized who they really are after a long while. Soft and delicate, two words to describe it. Don't see it if you don't like slow films.

No comments: