January 8, 2009

Sult

English Title: Hunger
Henning Carlsen, Denmark, 1996, imdb
Review: 4.0 Uchuvas
Comment: I have to admit that this is my second comment on the film. I wrote a very foolish comment but deleted after reading IMDB's comments. I normally don't read them before posting my films but this time I was curious about why it has very good reviews as I didn't like it that much. I was happily surprise by the profound comments and after reading them I started to feel more sympathetic with the film. Yes, I agree that the actor is really good (he won 4 awards for his performance including Cannes). I didn't know, for example, that it's an adaptation of a book by Knut Hamsun ("book based entirely on his experiences of suffering, moral degradation, starvation and humiliation at the hands of the bourgeoisie of Oslo...") The film is very touching and makes me think how many people will die of starvation before admit their hunger. I like a lot how the director create the feeling of hunger all along the film... I guess it's very difficult to show AND perform that feeling! How will it be to write it!?

No comments: