February 6, 2009

Laitakaupungin Valot

English Title: Lights in the Dusk
Aki Kaurismaki, Finland , 2006, imdb
Review: 3.5 Uchuvas
Comment: Another Kaurismaki typical film! The king of films about lonely and empty lives.
Two meaningless things that caught my attention were: I think there wasn't one single scene that didn't have a cigarette on! What a way to smoke!! and then, there were a lot of Tango songs in the film! The film starts with my beloved song from Carlos Gardel, Volver!!!! and then, another Gardel's masterpiece: el dia que me quieras and some other tango songs. After the film I was told how popular Tango was in Finland so I went to wikipedia and found this article about Finnish Tango that gave me an explanation as to why Gardel was part of the film's soundtrack. Apparently Tango in Finland is even more popular than in Argentina.
One last comment... if you want to see this film (and most, if not all, of Kaurismaki's films), make sure to be open mind to face a different style of movies.

No comments: